ANALYTICAL SERVICES LABORATORY
The charter of the Analytical Services Laboratory (ASL) is to conduct electrical, thermal and mechanical characterizations of resin components and PCB laminate materials used in the production of printed circuit boards. The ASL’s characterizations support not only our internal needs in R&D and manufacturing, but also the needs of our customers, the printed circuit board fabricators, as well as the OEMs they serve.
The Analytical Services Laboratory is staffed with well-trained chemists and technicians, who utilize advanced test equipment to achieve accurate results in a rapid response environment. Such test equipment includes:
- Thermal Mechanical Analyzers (TMA) to measure dimensional changes
- Fourier Transform Infrared Spectrometer (FTIR) to identify organic materials
- Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM) for high-magnification of surfaces and the identification of contaminates
- Energy Dispersive Spectroscopy (EDS) to identify inorganic materials
- Scanning Acrostic Microscope (SAM) for non-destructive identification of internal defects in printed circuit boards.
- Differential Scanning Calorimeters (DSC) to measure heat flow, glass transition temperature
- Dynamic Mechanical Analyzers (DMA) to measure material deformation under periodic stress and to measure glass transition temperature
- Thermogravimetric analysis (TGA) to measure weight loss or gain
- Rheometers to measure visco-elastic properties
- Micro-section equipment to evaluate printed circuit board integrity after thermal excursions
- Network Analyzers (VNA) to characterize dielectric constants and dissipation factors at different frequencies
- X-Ray equipment as a non-destructive method to view materials
- Gas Chromatography (GC) with Mass Spectrograph, High Pressure Liquid Chromatography (HPLC) and Titrators to analyze chemical concentrations, unknown materials, organic chemical compositions, and volatile content
- Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR) Spectroscopy to provide structural information based on the uniqueness of the composition
- Gel Permeation Chromatography (GPC) to determine molecular weight distribution
View the Global Analytical Services Laboratory video.